Last week, CBC Books, in partnership with Toronto's Luminato Festival, ran a contest called the Strong Beginnings Twitter Challenge in which you had to post first lines to as-yet-unwritten short stories. I've been away so I just now found out I was a finalist! Sadly, right after that I also found out I didn't win, but I'm thrilled all the same. So here are the tweets that got me closer to having an iPad Mini which was the prize for the contest. I thought they might be useful as writing prompts.
1. I didn’t mean for anybody to get hurt. Honest. I just wanted to build something really really big out of popsicle sticks.
2. Clarisse knew she’d soon be looking for another job when she saw the new sign her boss had posted. No swearing. No glitter.
3. Alice leaned on the doorjamb of her closet, trying to figure out what to wear besides a slathering of hydrocortisone cream.
4. The colour her sister had chosen didn’t flatter any of the six bridesmaids. They looked like yams wearing feathery hats.
5. He’d doubled the amount of liquor in the recipe. Luckily the eggnog was served in small cups. Luckily I’d worn my slippers.
6. I can’t understand why I chose this wallpaper. It’s covered in rabbits and I hate rabbits.